Fraud examination in accounting combines accounting principles with the detection and prevention of fraud against the financial institutions, the government, corporations, organizations as well as individuals. Areas of training include learning knowledge of legal concepts, criminal justice information, and cyber security to mention a few areas. Other areas may include:
- Taxation investigations
- Advanced aAuditing
- Economic crime investigations
- Cyber Terrorism investigation
- Investigation of mergers and acquisitions of corporations
- Fraud prevention
- Civil litigation
- Specialized audits
Part of the knowledge you can expect to gain is:
- How to use information technology to detect fraud and crime
- Investigating white-collar crimes
- Anatomy and characteristics of fraud, fraud prevention and detection, investigation techniques asset recovery, etc
- Applying forensic accounting techniques and fraud examination to criminal cases.
- Reviewing, detecting and investigating financial fraud patterns
Courses in fraud examination may include:
- Detection and prevention of fraudulent financial transactions and statements
- Interview Techniques/Legal Aspects of Fraud
Areas of economic crimes include organized crime, drug trafficking, money laundering, and physical and cyber terrorism financing). Other areas are tracking of moving money around the globe, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act as well as courtroom preparation of cases involving fraud.
Difference Between Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination
“Forensic accounting and fraud examination are different but related. Fraud examinations can be conducted by either accountants or non-accountants and refer only to anti-fraud matters. “. Forensic accounting work is done by accountants in anticipation of litigation and can include fraud, valuation, bankruptcy and a host of other professional services. (Joseph T. Wells, CPA, CFE founder and chairman of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners in Austin, Texas).
A forensic accountant actively searches and tries to detect fraud within an organization while a fraud examiner is called in when fraud has been suspected or detecgted. Forensic accountants generally hold an accounting degree and be certified public accountants (CPA) designation, while fraud examiners may or may not have an accounting background and degree.
Forensic accountants look at numbers, conduct interviews to further probe a situation, and after examining financial statements and conducting interviews, a forensic accountant will submit the report and findings.
Fraud examiners sort of like financial detectives They conduct fraud examinations to gain further evidence based on forensic accountant’s findings.
Programs in Accounting and Fraud Examination
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Audit Specialization
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Advanced Accounting - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Advanced Accounting - D.B.A.
- Looking for an Online Business Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!