A Music Business MBA merges business sense and artistic interests in a beneficial manner. While a degree is certainly not necessary to get into this type of entertainment field, having a solid educational background will definitely enhance one’s career. Entry requirements and prerequisites required to join the music business MBA degree – Students must have at least a four year degree, preferably in a music theory program, and some schools will be more stringent in their requirements. A placement exam or personal interview may be part of the application process, especially in the more exclusive educational institutions, and some may look at the GPA during previous college education or require a written essay as to why they believe they should be accepted as a student.
Music Business Training and Education
Entry requirements and prerequisites required to join the music business MBA degree – Students must have at least a four year degree, preferably in a music theory program, and some schools will be more stringent in their requirements. A placement exam or personal interview may be part of the application process, especially in the more exclusive educational institutions, and some may look at the GPA during previous college education or require a written essay as to why they believe they should be accepted as a student.
This degree also provides a good understanding of things such as business plans, accounting, budgeting, and investing, important for the small business owner. This degree program is designed to prepare musicians with leadership and skills to take on the industry with confidence and success.
Music Business Careers
A good majority of those who pursue the graduate level degree are very serious about starting a career of their own or becoming a part of an existing one. Common career pursuits include: record label owner, tour manager, recording studio owner, concert promoter or management company owner.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Musicians with a graduate level degree can expect to earn more than those with only an associate or bachelor’s degree. However, the income range varies greatly depending upon the specific type of career that one might be involved in. For example, a producer has an average median salary of $40,000 to $60,000.
Marketing managers can expect to earn as much as $120,000. Experience will also play into one’s pay scale in this industry. And those who are fortunate enough to land a job with a musician with “celebrity status” will definitely land on the higher end of the pay scale.
According to some statistics, media production managers earn approximately $68,283 annually. On the other hand, many musicians are paid by the gig, and these individuals may face periods with little work, as well as more plentiful times. Having a high degree will ensure that potential employers take a second look at that portfolio or resume.
Despite a lagging economy, many people aspire to be musicians, and avid fans will always pay to hear their favorite singers. Because of this, much of the music industry continues to be lucrative. While there is musical talent, there is a need for those who are capable and educated to manage the business side including those with a music business MBA degree.
Programs in Entertainment and Music Business Management
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- MA/Organizational Management
- 100% online M.B.A. programs offered, with specializations in Business Analytics, Healthcare Administration, & Nonprofit Leadership
- Program focuses on core competencies of Leadership, Organizational Innovation, Faith & Ethics, & Data-Informed Decision-Making
- Courses cover topics such as Innovation, Managerial Decision-Making, Strategic Marketing, & more
- Degree program is designed to be completed in as little as 24 months
- Master of Business Administration - Operations and Supply Chain Management
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Organizational Design and Development
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Master - Project Management
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Project Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management
- MS Organizational Leadership - Criminal Justice
- MS Organizational Leadership - Project Management
- And more...
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey. From Application to Graduation, the Support You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
New England College was founded in 1946 to educate soldiers coming home from war. The same great support system that welcomed returning GIs is still a hallmark of NEC today. From enrollment services representatives who’ll guide you through the application process to interactive tools that help you collaborate with instructors and classmates, NEC inspires you to reach the milestones of your educational journey.
- MBA/Project Management