The sports management MBA degree is growing in popularity. It combines business management skills with the sports and entertainment management. Sport management is concerned with the business aspect of sport. Sport management includes both the commercial side and the performance improvement element in sports. Most people in sports management have played competitive sports before joining the profession.
Sports Management Education and Training
The sports management degree provides a solid theoretical and practical educational foundation for dealing with the business, financial and marketing aspects of professional and college programs. For those who love sports but are not destined for a role on the playing field or court, this degree is another approach to making a living in their favored field.
Degree requirements are becoming more common in sports so those with an MBA can expect an advantage when it comes to hiring. Still, Sports Management MBA holders will be entering a competitive field. The ability to aggressively pursue goals in a focused way will be necessary on a personal as well as professional level.
An MBA in sports management degree program with this emphasis will share many of the core courses and requirements of all MBA degrees. Expect to take core courses in statistics, finance and business structure. Career specific work will concentrate on sports specific issues such as contract negotiations between athletes and teams. Also expect to study marketing and human resource in a career specific context. Courses may include:
- Sport Budget and Finance
- Sport Law
- Psychology of Sport
- Administration of Sport Organizations
- Sport Governance and Ethics
Other areas of study in the sports management MBA degree program might cover fund-raising for college teams or facility management issues for those in charge of stadiums and playing centers and complexes. These programs might also include the chance to combine these interests with training in media production for those interested in public relations or broadcasting.
Sports Management Careers
Graduates with an MBA in sports management may enter a myriad of career paths. Being a players union representative or an agent for players are possibilities for those who prefer to work outside the team structure or who particularly enjoy negotiations.
Of course, negotiating for the team side as a general manager or business manager is a different way to use the same skills. Facilities management, public relations, marketing and dealing with the financial side of sports are also possible career paths for those with these degrees.
Jobs in the field cluster in certain geographic areas, especially major cities and job advancement may require switching employers. Successful job candidates often need to move frequently and at unexpected intervals. Those considering these degrees and care should evaluate their willingness and ability to be mobile given personal and family considerations.
General managers or those working under a general manager can expect a combination of salary with performance bonuses. Facility managers and those dealing with finance will most often work in a straight salary arrangement.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Compensation arrangements can vary widely in the field. Agents are self-employed or own their own agencies and earn a percentage of the pay they secure for the players they represent. Those who enter marketing or fund-raising will find that compensation packages vary by employer. Jobs in the field are expected in to increase moderately over the next decade as professional management becomes the industry standard at many levels and in many areas of specialization.
Average annual earnings will also vary. Especially those who earn the degree with no prior experience can expect to earn $30,000 to $40,000 a year to begin with. Depending on job and employer type those with more experience may rise to the $100,000 range after ten or more years. Of course, sports management MBA degree holders who eventually become top managers for professional teams are compensated with salary and bonuses measured in millions of dollars.
Programs in Sports Management
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Risk Management
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Business Intelligence
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program is specially designed with insight from experienced faculty members and leading business practitioners.
- Already have a master’s in business or management? You may be eligible to apply credit for up to four courses toward your DBA, saving time and money.
- Students in the DBA program may choose from 16 specializations, including Entrepreneurship, Project Management, Marketing, Leadership, and more.
- The DBA program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration) - Self designed
- M.B.A. in Marketing
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Marketing
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Management
- MBA - Marketing
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- The MBA@American curriculum focuses on experiential learning and emphasizes the importance of connections rather than competition.
- No standardized test scores or minimum professional work experience is required to apply to the program.
- Students build foundational skills across a range of business fields and can select from five career-focused concentrations of study.
- Delivered online by American University’s Kogod School of Business, MBA@American takes a collaborative approach to preparing tomorrow’s business leaders.
- Courses and coursework are authored by the same renowned Kogod faculty who teach on campus, and students are held to the same admissions and academic standards as their on-campus counterparts.
- MBA@American students attend in-person immersion experiences known as Business in the Capital.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Masters: Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
Villanova University, a co-educational Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Order of Saint Augustine in 1842 in Villanova, Pennsylvania. A premier institution of higher education, Villanova provides a comprehensive education rooted in the liberal arts; a shared commitment to the Augustinian ideals of truth, unity and love; and a community dedicated to service to others.
- Online Master of Business Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).