The sports management MBA degree is growing in popularity. It combines business management skills with the sports and entertainment management. Sport management is concerned with the business aspect of sport. Sport management includes both the commercial side and the performance improvement element in sports. Most people in sports management have played competitive sports before joining the profession.
Sports Management Education and Training
The sports management degree provides a solid theoretical and practical educational foundation for dealing with the business, financial and marketing aspects of professional and college programs. For those who love sports but are not destined for a role on the playing field or court, this degree is another approach to making a living in their favored field.
Degree requirements are becoming more common in sports so those with an MBA can expect an advantage when it comes to hiring. Still, Sports Management MBA holders will be entering a competitive field. The ability to aggressively pursue goals in a focused way will be necessary on a personal as well as professional level.
An MBA in sports management degree program with this emphasis will share many of the core courses and requirements of all MBA degrees. Expect to take core courses in statistics, finance and business structure. Career specific work will concentrate on sports specific issues such as contract negotiations between athletes and teams. Also expect to study marketing and human resource in a career specific context. Courses may include:
- Sport Budget and Finance
- Sport Law
- Psychology of Sport
- Administration of Sport Organizations
- Sport Governance and Ethics
Other areas of study in the sports management MBA degree program might cover fund-raising for college teams or facility management issues for those in charge of stadiums and playing centers and complexes. These programs might also include the chance to combine these interests with training in media production for those interested in public relations or broadcasting.
Sports Management Careers
Graduates with an MBA in sports management may enter a myriad of career paths. Being a players union representative or an agent for players are possibilities for those who prefer to work outside the team structure or who particularly enjoy negotiations.
Of course, negotiating for the team side as a general manager or business manager is a different way to use the same skills. Facilities management, public relations, marketing and dealing with the financial side of sports are also possible career paths for those with these degrees.
Jobs in the field cluster in certain geographic areas, especially major cities and job advancement may require switching employers. Successful job candidates often need to move frequently and at unexpected intervals. Those considering these degrees and care should evaluate their willingness and ability to be mobile given personal and family considerations.
General managers or those working under a general manager can expect a combination of salary with performance bonuses. Facility managers and those dealing with finance will most often work in a straight salary arrangement.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Compensation arrangements can vary widely in the field. Agents are self-employed or own their own agencies and earn a percentage of the pay they secure for the players they represent. Those who enter marketing or fund-raising will find that compensation packages vary by employer. Jobs in the field are expected in to increase moderately over the next decade as professional management becomes the industry standard at many levels and in many areas of specialization.
Average annual earnings will also vary. Especially those who earn the degree with no prior experience can expect to earn $30,000 to $40,000 a year to begin with. Depending on job and employer type those with more experience may rise to the $100,000 range after ten or more years. Of course, sports management MBA degree holders who eventually become top managers for professional teams are compensated with salary and bonuses measured in millions of dollars.
Programs in Sports Management
- Earn your online degree from SNHU. Study Anytime, Anywhere. Flexible on your schedule
- Over 200 career-focused online programs, one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- IMBA - Athletic Administration
- MBA with concentration in Athletic Administration
- IMBA - Sport Management
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Master of Business Administration
- MBA - Marketing
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Master of Business Administration - Interdisciplinary Business
- Master of Business Administration - Kindom Business
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Management
- MBA - Marketing
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- Whether you work for a start-up company or large business our M.S. in Management will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to contribute to the strategic vision of your company.
- The program draws from the areas of strategic planning, accounting, finance, and ethics to provide you with a comprehensive view of what it takes to create effective strategies within your business.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field.
- Master - Human Resource Management
- Graduate Certificate - Human Resource Management
- Dynamic Virtual Campus Experience – Classes are hosted in weekly, face-to-face online settings that utilize video conferencing technology to create an intimate learning environment.
- Demanding Academic and Admissions Standards – MPH@GW students are held to the same selective admissions criteria as on-campus students, and complete the same academically rigorous curriculum.
- Real Courses Delivered by Real Faculty – The GW faculty are world-renowned leaders in the field, and personally design and teach MPH@GW courses.
- Hands-On Field Placement Learning – Students will complete a customized practicum field experience that is designed to build hands-on skill in a student’s chosen career path.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- M.B.A.: Marketing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MBA - Building Creativity
- MBA - Strategic Management
- Management - MBA
- And more...